Saturday, September 25, 2010

1798-1886 Mary Brown Pulsipher



Testimony of Mary Brown Pulsipher (wife of Zerah Pulsipher)

May God Bless You All!

By request I write a little more history and experiences.Eight years have passed away since I wrote the little sketches. Iam still here. I will begin by my first experiences in theMethodist church. My parents taught me to be honest, industrious,and to keep the Sabbath Day. They were very strict Methodists. WhenI was about 13 years old I thought I ought to join the MethodistChurch. It was the only church I knew much about. The preacherscame every week to preach at father's house. I told him I wanted tojoin the church and he said I could. I did not know but they wouldcall on me to relate a great experience when I was converted, butI could not have told them. All they did was to put my name on theclass paper for six month's trial. When six months was out thepreachers said, "Here is Sister Mary. She is a good, faithful,worthy Sister. I motion that she be taken in full fellowship." Iwas voted in. Perhaps one year passed — not a word was said aboutbaptism. I said to the preacher, "Do you believe baptism to bea duty for us to obey?" He said baptism was not a saving ordinance.Just to answer a good conscience, I said, "I see by reading the NewTestament, I consider it a duty — a command." He said, "What say?"I said there was only one way that looked to be right — to beimmersed and buried in the water. He said, "the Savior set theexample and He was not immersed. He went out into the water andknelt down and had some water poured on his head." He said he hadseen it in history. He went to the water. He sang and prayed, thentook me by the hand and led me to the water, saying, "Step in andkneel." I did. He dipped a little water, said over the ceremony,and poured it on my head, while he stood on the bank — did not wethis feet. I thought if baptism was to answer a good conscience, Iwas not satisfied. It looked like mockery to me, but I had done myduty.

I write this to let my children see the darkness and ignorancethe world was then in. Surely the Prophet could say darkness andsin had covered the earth, and gross darkness, the people. Irejoice that we live in a day that the true light and true gospelwas shining.

I think I was in the Methodist church about 20 years before Iheard the true gospel. We happened to see the Book of Mormon. Weborrowed it, read it, and believed it, but did not know anythingmore about it. We were very anxious to know more about it. It wasnot long before a Mormon preacher came. We had a great manyquestions to ask. He told us how the Book was found and translated.He said baptism by immersion was the only right way. It was for theremission of sins. I thought that looked right.

In a short time some were ready to be baptized. I wanted to beat the first opportunity, but satan thought he would hinder it. Thenight before baptism, I was taken very lame with rheumatism orsomething. I was so sick I could not get around much. As they werefixing to go, Brother Carter said to me, "Sister Pulsipher, if youwill do your duty, you shall be healed." I took a cane and hobbledto the water and went in. It was a very cold day, but I came outwell, left my cane, and went away rejoicing.

I was very ignorant, I had not heard anything about beingconfirmed, or receiving the Holy Ghost. The next evening went tomeeting and the six that were baptized were there. When he put hishands on my head, he said, "Sister Pulsipher, by the authority ofthe Holy Priesthood and in the name of Jesus, I lay my hands onyour head to bless you and to confirm you a member of the Church ofJesus, I lay my hands on your head to bless you and to confirm youa member of the Church of Jesus Christ. I say unto you, receivethe Holy Ghost." He promised great blessings if I would befaithful. The Spirit of the Lord was there. We sang, prayed, andpraised God together. It was not long before the news went aroundthat Brother and Sister Pulsipher were Mormons. Some would notbelieve it until they came to see us. We had plenty of visitors. Some came to try to convince us that it was all delusion. Theythought they could reclaim us, but went away disconsolate. Otherscame to inquire. They said if we had got something better, theywanted to know it. They would be baptised and go home rejoicing.

I will mention one that came to see me. My brother-in-law,Joseph (Joe) Childister. he lived four miles from me; he was goingto move away, but could not go without seeing me. I had belonged tothe same church he did. He was a preacher. He said I was the lastone he thought of as being led away with such hearsay and elusions,as he thought it was. "Well", I said, "If this is what the worldcalls hearsay, to worship my God," said I, "I know in whom Ibelieve." He said, "I think in about six months you will see yourerror. I think Mormonism will be all down flat in that time." Isaid, "Joseph, I have not the least idea that it will. It willstand. But if it does come down I never could go to the Methodistor another church that I know of. It would be going right intodarkness." He said, "I see I cannot convince you, but I have donemy duty." He cried and bid me farewell. I said, "I thank you forthe kind feelings you have for me. Do not worry about me." I neversaw him after that. He moved away, lived a few years and died verysuddenly with heart disease. He had an appointment to preach theday he was buried. His wife, my sister, died soon after. I thinkthey have heard the gospel preached before this time. Zerah andJoseph were great friends. He had not read the Book of Mormon norheard a sermon preached. He judged before he heard — like so manyothers. If they would hear and heed, without prejudice, there wouldnot be half so many among hearsay, delusion, and false prophets.

Well, I began to gather with the Church. Went to Kirtland,there had my blessings from the first Patriarch in this Church,Father Joseph Smith. He said I should have my friends with me inthis church, and that I would be the means of saving and redeemingthem. I believe every word, but did not understand how it couldcome to pass. I never heard nor thought of being baptised for thedead. He said I had left all for the gospel, I should have ahundred fold in this world and in the world to come, lifeeverlasting, with many more good blessings if I would be faithful.

I am almost 81 years old, have lived and enjoyed myself wellwith my children a long time; I expect the time will come when Imust leave them. I have watched over them, tried to comfort themand instruct them right. I pray that they may live in peace, beunited, and keep all the commandments of God. If riches increase,set not your hearts on them, but lay up treasures in Heaven. It isthe only safe place that we can lay up riches.

I would like to have my children live near together to helpand comfort one another. May God bless you all!

Mary Brown Pulsipher
Hebron, March, 1880.

No comments:

Post a Comment